Go to Top Go to Bottom
Asian-Australas J Anim Sci > Accepted Articles
DOI: https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.20.0189    [Accepted] Published online August 3, 2020.
Genetic diversity and population structure of indigenous chicken of bangladesh using microsatellite markers
Muhammad Abdur Rashid1,2  , Prabuddha Manjula3  , Shakila Faruque2  , A. K. Fazlul Haque Bhuiyan1  , Dongwon Seo3  , Jahangir Alam4  , Jun Heon Lee3,*  , Mohammad Shamsul Alam Bhuiyan1,* 
1Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh
2Poultry Production Research Division, Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute, Dhaka-1341, Bangladesh
3Division of Animal and Dairy Science, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 34134, Korea
4Animal Biotechnology Division, National Institute of Biotechnology, Dhaka-1349, Bangladesh
Correspondence:  Jun Heon Lee,Email: alamjahan2003@yahoo.com
Mohammad Shamsul Alam Bhuiyan,Email: alamjahan2003@yahoo.com
Received: 27 March 2020   • Revised: 5 June 2020   • Accepted: 27 March 2020
Abstract
Objective
The objectives of this study were to investigate the genetic diversity, population structure and relatedness among the five chicken populations of Bangladesh using microsatellite markers.
Methods
A total of 161 individuals representing 5 chicken populations (non-descript Deshi [ND], naked neck [NN], hilly [HI], Aseel [AS], and red jungle fowl [JF]) were included in this study to investigate genetic diversity measures, population structure, genetic distance and phylogenetic relationships. Genotyping was performed using 16 selected polymorphic microsatellite markers distributed across 10 chromosomes.
Results
The average observed and expected heterozygosity, mean number of alleles and polymorphic information content were found to be 0.67±0.01, 0.70±0.01, 10.7 and 0.748, respectively in the studied populations. The estimated overall fixation index across the loci (F), heterozygote deficiency within (FIS) and among (FIT) chicken populations were 0.04±0.02, 0.05 and 0.16, respectively. Analysis of molecular variance analysis revealed 88.07% of the total genetic diversity was accounted for within population variation and the rest 11.93% was incurred with population differentiation (FST). The highest pairwise genetic distance (0.154) was found between ND and AS while the lowest distance was between JF and AS (0.084). Structure analysis depicted that the studied samples can be categorized into four distinct types or varieties (ΔK = 3.74) such as ND, NN, and HI where AS and JF clustered together as an admixed population. The Neighbor-Joining phylogenetic tree and discriminant analysis of principal component also showed close relatedness among three chicken varieties namely AS, HI, and JF.
Conclusion
The results reflected that indigenous chicken of Bangladesh still possess rich genetic diversity but weak differentiation among the studied populations. This finding provides some important insight on genetic diversity measures that could support the designing and implementing of future breeding plans for indigenous chickens of Bangladesh.
Keywords: Indigenous Chicken; Genetic Diversity; Microsatellite Marker; Bangladesh


Editorial Office
Asian-Australasian Association of Animal Production Societies(AAAP)
Room 708 Sammo Sporex, 23, Sillim-ro 59-gil, Gwanak-gu, Seoul 08776, Korea   
TEL : +82-2-888-6558    FAX : +82-2-888-6559   
E-mail : jongkha@hotmail.com               

Copyright © 2020 by Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences. All rights reserved.

Close layer
prev next