Go to Top Go to Bottom
Animal Reproduction and Physiology
Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 1996;9(3): 315-317.
DOI: https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1996.315    Published online June 1, 1996.
Strains of foot-and-mouth diseas virus in different districts of Bangladesh
S. M. Z. H. Chowdhury, M. F. Rahman, M. B. Rahman, M. M. Rahman
Abstract
An investigation was carried out to find out the strains of foot-and-mouth disease(FMD) virus in 24 districts of Bangladesh. A total of 505 FMD virus samples were collected from June, 1989 to June, 1991 and tested by complement fixation test(CFT). Of these, 276(54.7%) were found positive for different strains of FMD virus and the rest 45.3% were either negative or anticomplementary. Strains identified were O, C, Asia-1 and sub-strains A5 and A22. Strain O was found to be most prevalent(39.8%) followed by Asia-1(5.7%), C(5.3%), A5(3.4%) and A22(0.4%). Prevalence of substrain A5 was reported for the first time in Bangladesh. District-wise typing of FMD virus has been done which would be helpful for appropriate vaccination programme in different districts of Bangladesh for control of the malady.
Keywords: Prevalence; Foot-and-Mouth Disease Virus; FMD Virus Strains


Editorial Office
Asian-Australasian Association of Animal Production Societies(AAAP)
Room 708 Sammo Sporex, 23, Sillim-ro 59-gil, Gwanak-gu, Seoul 08776, Korea   
TEL : +82-2-888-6558    FAX : +82-2-888-6559   
E-mail : jongkha@hotmail.com               

Copyright © 2020 by Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences. All rights reserved.

Close layer
prev next